Total Page-views


Blog Archive

IoW GG links

To look at the Isle of Wight Green Gym web page (contains details of sessions etc) please use the following link :- www.iwgreengym.org.uk.

The link to Twitter is https://twitter.com/iwgreengym

If you would like to leave us any comments then please use this link iwgreengym@gmail.com

Friday 17 April 2020

We have reached a milestone....750th Blog publication..!

As I logged in to write this latest blog, I happened to notice that it was publication number 750 - wow, I never thought it would last this long.😊

It would have been much nicer to be talking about countryside matters on such a momentous occasion but...given our present situation, hopefully you will agree that written below is something we might like to consider?

Home made masks.

Our government seems to be changing their thoughts on this topic. Initially they discouraged the use of any kind of mask for general use but with the lockdown being extended (for how long?) they seem to be suggesting that they might be beneficial IF you follow all the guidance..!!!!
Because of my situation at home, I am looking at any way possible to prevent either of us becoming infected with Covid-19 and have done a little research on the interweb thingy 😏. Type the words "home made mask" into Google and you are presented with everything from chopping up used T-shirts through to complex origami involving the dust bags from vacuum cleaners..! After a little research, I came across the following link...

DIY Cloth Face Mask : 9 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables

The reason for my suggesting this site is that it is easy to understand, has various mask patterns, gives some of the science involved and they have teams of people home manufacturing them for the front line services. Ok, it is American  but I still think it is worth a look at if you are contemplating going down the home made PPE route.


I have printed out the templates for version 1 and backed them with card. Initially my material of choice will be cotton / polyester to make a trial "will it fit me" model. The sewing machine remains in the cupboard at present as my previous dealings with the "beast" have not been that successful...lol. I will keep you updated on my progress and if any one has alternative suggestions then please let me know.

Once again, I apologise for hi-jacking the Green Gym Blog for non-nature related topics but...we are living in strange, difficult times.

Update 1.


Having decided that hand sewing is NOT my strongest subject, I enlisted the help of a relative to help me assemble the parts using the dreaded sewing machine...! The fit is comfortable and the face seal certainly exceeds thad of the paper medical masks they give you when visiting the hospital. Well, the flower pattern goes well with the Green Gym image but I might just choose something a little more masculine for version two..😀. Total time for making it...around 2 hours but that included watching the Youtube videos that show you exactly what to do. I am sure the next one will be completed in far less time.

 Stay safe...by stay INDOORS 👌

No comments: